Sunday, October 28, 2012

Coming home

No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.
          ~Lyn Yutang 


One of the true joys of travel is coming home. We have just returned from a two week vacation that took us to Italy. It was a vacation we had long dreamed of-- we saved our pennies to afford it, spent many hours reading and planning, learning about sights we were going to see.  For years I had hoped to someday see the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican and visit Venice. Lanny and I had talked about visiting these places since before we were married.  So, when we were finally off on a trip to see these places I didn't give a thought to coming home.

But as the days in Italy waned, and our feet and eventually entire bodies became weary of all the walking and touring, I have to admit I began to look forward to sleeping in my own bed again. I think our trip was just long enough-- we saw a lot, got to know our fellow travelers a little bit, and were gone just long enough to look forward to getting home again.

I am thankful we could take this wonderful vacation, and will be sharing some of the stories and hundreds of photos we brought home with us. But I am also very thankful for a safe return to our home. And that we have a wonderful home to return to!

No comments:

Post a Comment