Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Feeling a little SAD...

Are the days of winter sunshine just as sad for you, too? When it is misty, in the evenings, and I am out walking by myself, it seems to me that the rain is falling through my heart and causing it to crumble into ruins.
          ~Gustave Flaubert

            Sunshine : blue sky background



The last two days have been dazzling-- cloudless sunny days that were so bright I wore my sunglasses any time I was out. Even inside the house the sun caught on the glass table in our breakfast room and reflected so intensely we had to reposition ourselves while eating lunch both days. We were able to get out and enjoy it -- our days included a drive to eastern Indiana and running errands close to home. While the air was still chilly, the car was always really warm when we'd get back in it after it sat in a parking lot in the sun. Late winter, early spring, whatever you call it... it was wonderful.

As with all things, the good weather ended today. The sky is gray, and it is raining. And will rain (or snow or sleet-- depending on where you live) for the next 3 or 4 days. Instead of being filled with light, the house is dark and gloomy feeling. Despite knowing it was coming, I am finding myself dreading having to go out in the rain, and just tired of all the dark skies winter has brought.

Then I remember last summer's draught, and how frightened I was as each day was hotter and drier than the next. How I had to get up early to take water out to my vegetable garden just to keep it going, and how the well began to give signs of trouble if we ran too much water at once.

Rain is, of course, a gift. It nourishes the Earth, and us too. Hopefully after a winter of precipitation, our well has been replenished. The ground is certainly wet-- our dog has had many baths lately after spending the morning romping in the back yard. The vegetable beds are soaked, as are the spring bulbs underground, which should be waking up now. And our trees-- they were so stressed last summer that all this rain should help them strengthen for the summer to come.

But that doesn't help the gloominess of rainy weather. All winter the cold is accompanied by gray skies, and for a lot of us, seasonal affective disorder can kick in. I love winter, I really do... but I must admit to having problems with my mood too after days and days without sun.

Recently I flew down to Florida to help my best friend in her early recovery after some major surgery. Florida is The Sunshine State, but while I was there it was cloudy. This was a bit of a disappointment, despite the much warmer temperatures. However, I have kept a memory of that trip that helps me cope on these dark, rainy days...

When a plane takes off during rainy weather, the initial time in the air can be pretty bumpy as the plane heads up through the rain clouds. There can be some bouncing around that is frightening. But at some point, the plane emerges through the clouds to the higher altitudes into a dazzlingly beautiful world that is carpeted in puffy white clouds and has the bluest bright sky you'll ever see. If the sun is shining into your window, it can almost blind you it is so bright.

It dawned on me this morning that high above me, at "cruising altitude", the sun is dazzlingly bright and beautiful. It's still there, warming the day. And while we all can't hop in a plane to go find the sun, for me knowing it is there despite the weather here, is a bit of a comfort.

If you are sick of gray skies but can't take a plane trip, just envision the sun, high above even the thickest clouds, shining and warming you. The rain will stop one of these days soon and that same sun will brighten your day just like it did mine yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment