Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Woods on a Winter Evening


Here in Indiana we are in the middle of a winter storm. It is predicted to snow over a foot, with rising winds and falling temperatures. Our TV has been full of dire warnings, advice on how to "survive" the storm, what to do and not to do to be safe.

Having been born and raised in Western New York, where snow like this was a frequent thing, I find all the fuss a bit annoying. Of course I want everyone to be safe-- and heaven knows folks around here have a hard time driving in bad winter weather. But my overall reaction to a winter storm is excitement and anticipation and then pure enjoyment.

I have pointed out in my blog before what I love about a good snow-- that it covers the brown and gray world in beautiful, pristine, dazzling white. That while it snows the world is a much, much quieter place. That it forces us to slow down. I think we all need a good dose of quiet, lazy beauty after the rush of the holidays!

So... when I got up this morning to see snow falling heavily and steadily, I didn't just get dressed. I got dressed to go outside. Heavy socks, boots, hat, scarf, gloves. And camera. I tromped around our little piece of this earth and took photos of the beauty. And was reminded of one of my favorite poems, written of course by Robert Frost.  I thought I'd share a few of my photos and Mr. Frost's beautiful, quiet poem in hopes that it will help any of my readers who are sidelined by the storm to appreciate the loveliness to be found in it...


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

BY ROBERT FROST
Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   













He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” from The Poetry of Robert Frost, edited by Edward Connery Lathem. Copyright 1923, © 1969 by Henry Holt and Company, Inc., renewed 1951, by Robert Frost.


No comments:

Post a Comment