Tuesday, July 3, 2012

There was a little girl...

There was a little girl

There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
          ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



     My granddaughter, Addison, age 4, is spending the week with us! I have been looking forward to her stay since her father asked if we'd watch her. Age 4 is such a special age...

     After 2 full days I am learning a lot about four year old girls. They are the ying and yang of creatures-- singing and skipping happily one moment and shrieking with indignation and rage the next. I had little boys, also charming creatures at age 4, but very different. At least my two boys were. Where they were all muscle and boisterous play, Addie is chatter and make believe. Where they communicated mostly in shouts and grunts, Addie is constant chatter. She talks about everything, questions everything, wants the whats and whys of everything. She has been my shadow, following me all over the yard and the house, chattering about everything, asking a million questions about everything. I love it!!

     Her capabilities have expanded so much since the last time she stayed here. She can brush her teeth by herself. She gets dressed by herself. She can sing a lot more songs, write her name, and recite her address and phone number. She is a whiz on the computer. And the iPhone. Her understanding of her world is exploding and it is so much fun to watch!

     She also has had a few... just a few, mind you!... moments where her rage fills our house with wails and leaves me completely frustrated with her inability to modify her reactions. I worry that she will retain some remnant of her anger and not want to visit any more. I really want her to have fun and enjoy being here. Grandmothers are not for disciplining, they are for spoiling... but at least this grandma has a few rules that she insists we stick to. And sometimes little girls have trouble with that.

     There was such an explosion earlier today, but by bedtime she had recovered not only her original happy mood, but went to bed willingly. We read 4 stories (we divide up everything by four-- her age!), had hugs and then she just snuggled in and went to sleep. 

     Part of me wants to freeze time and keep her just as she is, and part of me has enjoyed watching her growth so much I look forward to the next age. But really, 4 is a wonderful age to be. I am delighted she is staying with us so we get a sneak peak at her world!

     Here are a few glimpses into the World of Addie:

This little wind up train and cardboard track has been one of her favorites at Grandma's for quite awhile! 

Shopping!

A trip to the library allowed her to show off her computer skills. Age 4 and she knows how to "right click" the mouse!

Helping Grandma make cupcakes for our 4th of July party!


     

     

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy sister, though the Safety person in me says "Excuse me mame, please do not let your child sit in the basket of the shopping cart!!!!" Some habits are hard to break...a

    ReplyDelete