Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.


          ~ Neil Gaiman
I am sitting in a quiet house. Except for the chugging of the washer and dryer, the house is silent. Less than 24 hours ago, it was a hubbub of activity, full of children and excited chatter and family love. We have had a very active holiday here at the Bertrams! Usually, after a holiday spent with family, I am depressed and a little lonely when it all ends.

This year is different though. I think it is because we saw almost every family member at some point, and we have had so much activity we are very tired. My sister and her husband came the weekend before Christmas and stayed with us, and we had a wonderful time with my mom. We were invited to spend Christmas Eve afternoon and evening with Lanny's brother and his family, which was a fun time spent laughing and eating (way too much!) And then my son and grand daughter came to stay overnight here at our home Christmas Eve. Being able to share in the wonder and magic of Christmas Eve and morning with a 4 year old was indeed a highlight for this grandmother!  Our daughter Krissy came over too, which added to the fun (Krissy always brings unique, usually very funny gifts!). And then 2 days later my older son, his wife and two little boys arrived for a 4 day holiday stay over New Year's. Except for Lanny's older brother and his family who live on the far west coast, we saw every person near and dear to us. And we were healthy. And we were warm and well-fed. And it snowed... a lot!

Our three grandchildren, all in the same place! Many thanks to our daughter-in-law for the wonderful photo!


I told Lanny this morning that my heart was overflowing from it all... it was the best Christmas we've had in a long time. And I am very, very thankful. And very aware of how lucky I am. I have had many other Christmases that were horrible, spent trying to keep a smile pasted on my face when all the while I was miserable or worse.

Which brings me to the new year. For the first time in a very long time, I will take down all the holiday decorations without sadness or regrets, and look to the new year with anticipation. I don't have any big resolutions other than to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon (which I fell off of in Italy and just kept being bad till now!).  I do hope 2013 brings more learning and growth my way, knowing full well that I will need to go out and seek both.  And I will make more mistakes as I go. But that's okay. Lanny and I have a saying between us that kind of sums it up well. We have learned through the years of living we've both done that:

It doesn't have to be perfect to be perfect!
          ~Grandma Barb

Happy New Year to you all! Here's to 2013 filled with learning, growth, and a few mistakes to keep us going. And time spent with those you love the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment