Monday, December 17, 2012

Cookie Therapy



Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.
          ~Barbara Jordan 
 The shootings in Connecticut have hit me harder than any of the previous shootings and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it is because there were beautiful little children who were victims, maybe because there were so many victims, maybe because it is also Christmas time... maybe all of it. But I find myself close to tears a lot these last few days. I have had to stay away from the TV because I can't stand watching the unending interviews with survivors, family members, political activists and pundits. The trappings and busy-ness of Christmas have seemed shallow and joyless.

Today I had a break from the grief of this national tragedy when my 4 year old grand daughter paid me a visit. She came so her Daddy could run some Christmas errands. We decided to bake some Christmas cookies!

Addie, it turns out, loves to help in the kitchen. She was excited to help her grandma and chattered excitedly the whole time. She hung in there to mix, roll out, cut out, bake and decorate a double batch of sugar cut-out cookies. I had purchased new Christmas sprinkles which she really, really loved. And most of all, she loved eating one.

We had a great time laughing, working, helping one another. She actually told me, "Grandma, I LOVE it when we help each other!"  I am still smiling now as I write this... she was a balm for my hurting heart. Just what I needed to remember the joy of Christmas again.

First step in the kitchen is ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS!

Then you gather your supplies...

and get the recipe and read it.

Addie demonstrates step 4:  "schmush it like this..."
and roll it like this.

And then you cut the cookies like this!

Look how many!

Frosting and sprinkles... the best part!
See how pretty!
Cookies and milk... YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment