Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Void


I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light.          ~Jeremiah 4:23 

blackness photo: blackness blackness.jpg

It has been 2 days since my computer died. The news from the doc is not good. He is trying to retrieve data from my hard drive so that whether we fix the old one or buy a new one, I will have all my old data. Stuff like photos taken, in TIFF format in case I want to enlarge them, of our trip to Italy. Videos of my grandchildren. Old photos scanned from photo albums my mom and dad had. The last email my father ever sent me. Stuff like that...

Of course it isn't really that big a deal, but I am finding I don't know what to do with my mornings. I used to sit with the computer on the bed and read emails, Facebook, and write-- a lot of times this blog. I can access my email and Facebook from my new smart phone, and Lanny is gracious and lets me use his computer if I need to (that's where I am writing this blog...) But recreational computer use has come to a halt...

My world feels empty. Without light. I don't feel as connected. How crazy is it that this old grandma has become so accustomed to new technology (well, the stuff I have learned to use-- I am well aware that there is a whole world of gaming and music and such that has passed me by...) that she feels disconnected without it? I can only imagine how my grandchildren will feel as they grow up using it all and being so tech savvy they can't imagine life without it.

Perhaps, just maybe, this is a blessing in disguise. It has reminded me of how life can be when you have to get up off your bed and get out there and live for real, not virtually. I'll try harder to do that-- let me know if you'd like to have lunch so we can reconnect for real!

Now... where'd my knitting go?
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment