Monday, April 1, 2013

Wrong number?


We all need to start making some changes to how our families eat. Now, everyone loves a good Sunday dinner. Me included. And there's nothing wrong with that. The problem is when we eat Sunday dinner Monday through Saturday.
          ~Michelle Obama

                             Brooks Kraft / Corbis for TIME

I have written several blogs about our attempts here at the Bertram household to eat healthy.  We have been trying again to lose some weight, and in that endeavor to learn to eat healthier foods. I try to buy organic produce, and have even taken a stab at growing some of our own fruits and vegetables.


My success as a "farmer" has been pretty limited. The tomatoes were small and scarce last summer, which I blamed on the drought. But the cantaloupe vines were lush-- and only produced one melon the size of a small orange. Likewise the acorn squash.

I have been following the success of First Lady Michelle Obama's White House garden as she has worked publicly to improve the diets of the children in our country. Her endeavors with local school children's participation in growing the garden impressed me.

Meanwhile, in my retirement, I have taken occasionally to writing to my congressman and senators about issues that are important to me. I have received several gracious replies from them, indicating at the very least that my letters were read by somebody who worked for them... it was a nice feeling to know that was the case.

So, several months ago, I sent a letter to Mrs. Obama expressing my admiration for her White House garden project and her public efforts to improve the diets of children. I shared with her our own efforts at changing our diets to a healthier, more organic one. And I got a little bold and asked for some advice on growing produce-- how did they get such lush results? Did they use fertilizer? What kind?

The letter was sent awhile ago, and was forgotten. I mean, really forgotten. I totally forgot that I sent it. Two weeks ago I was home fixing dinner one afternoon when the phone rang.  I answered, "Hello?"  A woman's voice said, "Hello, may I speak with Barbara Bertram, please?" "This is she," I said. "Barbara, my name is Tina Tchen. I am Chief of Staff to Mrs. Michelle Obama, and am calling from the White House."  I was dumbfounded. The voice sounded a little familiar, and I became immediately suspicious. Was this a prank? I looked at the phone's display of what phone number the call was coming from. The display had been blocked. The voice said, "Mrs. Obama would like to speak with you." I was sure I recognized that voice. This wasn't Mrs. Obama's assistant, it was Lanny's daughter Krissy playing a joke on me! I tried to think fast, but all I said was, "Oh sure she does... who is this really??"

There was a pause and the voice said again, "This is Tina Tchen calling from the White House. Mrs. Obama would like to speak with you."  I said, "Nice try, Krissy!" and hung up.  Five minutes later the phone rang again. It was the same voice with the same message. "Stop it, Krissy!" I said, losing patience. "It isn't nice to impersonate somebody important like this!" and hung up again.  The phone didn't ring again-- I guess I made my point!



The mail came today, and in it was a letter with a rather official looking envelope from The East Wing of The White House... It contained a letter from Mrs. Obama expressing her regrets on not being able to speak with me personally about my garden. She thanked me for my letter. She sent her congratulations on my attempts to improve our health with a garden of our own, and encouraged me to continue our efforts.



Oh... and one more thing...















APRIL FOOLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment