Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fashion Week?

Betsey Johnson Fall 2012 Ready-to-Wear
Betsey Johnson 2012 Fall Collection
     This morning I heard on the Today Show about the recent fashion shows in New York. All the designers were showing their fall collections. I learned the trends will be for metallic fabrics, neon colors and the must-have garment is the kimona. The fashion expert who discussed this said she throws on her kimona over her sweats when she takes the kids to school in the morning to "make a fashion statement".

     Last evening Lanny and I went out to dinner at a downtown Indianapolis restaurant as a day-late Valentine's celebration. We had some errands to run before we dined, so we were downtown early. Our first stop was to buy walking shoes at a shoestore downtown famous for good quality shoes for "hard-to-fit" feet. Given my on-going recovery from major foot surgery, I was looking for something sturdy and comfortable, that would support my foot when walking. Lanny was just looking for shoes that fit and felt good-- something that had eluded him for most of his life. We found what we were looking for-- sturdy athletic shoes in wide widths that would help support our feet so our feet can support us through the coming year. They were large and clunky looking... definitely not on the fashion radar!
     http://todaynewarticles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/New-balance-shoes.jpg    
Hmmm... a pair of well-made supportive athletic shoes or a pair of sexy Alexander McQueen spike heels? 

                            
 http://0.tqn.com/d/shoes/1/0/4/y/alexander_mcqueen_shoes.jpg

     After we completed our shoe shopping, we headed for the big downtown mall, where our restaurant was located. We got there too early for dinner, so we window shopped for about an hour. I got a good look at the spring fashions that were on display. Tight short skirts, cute little dresses in very loud colors with cute little jackets...  And the shoes... platform shoes with spike heels that would have made me taller than Lanny. And in bright patent leather colors... I thought about how I would have loved them when I was 20. As I approach 60, these shoes just remind me of my orthopedic issues and I find them depressing. I would look silly in them. Not to mention how they would make my back, my hips and my knees feel!

     Nothing is as depressing as an aging woman who dresses way too young. We saw one in the shoe store-- she was overweight by at least 50 pounds, with a too-short leather skirt, spike heeled boots, and wild burgundy red hair. Make up that was extreme. Flashy jewelry and over-long dark red nails. She was at least 50 years old, and looked, well...  silly.  On the other hand, I also know how dressing fashionably can elevate a woman's confidence in herself and just make the day feel better. Where is the line between the two?

     I don't have the answer for that, but I do know there are women out there who find the balance and who always seem to look fabulous. Clothing just seems to look good on them, yet the whole thing looks effortless. I envy them... And maybe I'll get myself a kimona to throw on over my sweats? Whatdya think?
Alice + Olivia Fall 2012 Ready-to-Wear
Alice+Olivia 2012 Fall Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment