Friday, February 10, 2012

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!


Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
~ Sammy Cahn

     It snowed on and off all day today. The ground was warm enough that it didn't stick, but the sight of falling snow outside the window made me smile, then get to work on a pot of chili. My husband got a fire going, and together we have spent the better part of the day by the fire. I have been able to knit at my leisure, which is one of my favorite past times. I know we are both very lucky that we no longer must go out in bad weather, or worry about how much the heat bill will be, or forage for food like the animals and birds outside our window. 

      I love snow! I say this knowing full well most adults in Indiana hate it. My sister and best friend both live in the south, and both tease me regularly about the "bad weather" we have here. Hoosiers head an masse to the south any chance they can in the winter. We're called "snow birds" down there... people who come just for the winter. Not me... any time it snows I am up for a walk. I love it... falling snow forces everyone to slow down a little, and that's a good thing. A brisk walk in the cold, when there is falling snow, warms me from the inside out. Lanny has learned that when it starts snowing, he needs to go put his boots on because most likely we're going for a walk. Often, we end up down by the creek, one of my favorite places!
     I grew up in Buffalo, and have many happy memories of times spent in the snow. As kids we played in it all winter. Snow forts, snowball fights, sledding and tobogganing, and ice skating were all activities I loved. We don't get enough snow in Indiana for kids to do much of any of this, and I miss it. The weather is still cold, but stays snowless and gray most of the winter. I don't like that at all!

     Our dog Siggy has mixed emotions about snow. He is always up for a good run in it, but he is a heat seeker, so the fire in the fireplace or snuggled under an afghan is his favorite place to be in the winter.
      Snow also quiets our woods and creek, and forces most of the animals underground either to stay warm or to hibernate. The birds must eat more and so are more frequent guests at the feeders we have outside the dinette window. When there is enough snow to see animal tracks, we can see what beasts have been out and about-- something we can't see unless there is snow.  And when we are lucky enough to have a lot of snow, the beauty of our woods and creek is worth photographing. 

     My wish for everyone today is that at some point this winter you too can slow down and enjoy the winter weather. If you happen to be lucky enough to live where it snows, go for a walk! Or, if you can't do that, put on a pot of chili and watch the world change before your eyes!



No comments:

Post a Comment