Friday, February 3, 2012

Lessons learned on crutches


     I had surgery on my achilles tendon 8 weeks ago. I had suffered from what I'll call "nurse's foot" for a long time, and it became obvious when we tried to do some hiking on our trip to the mountains that the conservative approach was not going to work. So, off to the surgery center we went, with the same nervous anticipation that everybody has right before they have surgery.

     First, let me say the surgeon is a very nice guy, and came highly recommended. He is apparently very good at what he does. The whole thing went well. Home in a big splint on crutches, with instructions to keep it iced and no weight bearing. Back to the office in a week for a more permanent cast. I had broken an ankle 30 some years before and had walked on crutches then for 8 weeks with no problem-- I had a 9 month old at the time, and managed it. So I thought this time would be pretty much the same thing.

     WRONG... I am 30 years older, and despite my denial, age does make a difference. After the first week my upper arms, shoulders and the palms of my hands hurt almost as much as the ankle did! I rented a knee scooter, but discovered after a few days that using it made my arthritic hip hurt and it didn't get me close enough to the kitchen counter to be usable in that area. Lanny did most of the kitchen work.


     Christmas came, and with it my intense need to provide the photo-perfect event for family. For the first time ever I had a kitchen full of family helping me-- not that they didn't offer in years past. I was so hell bent on everything being perfect I had to do it myself. Not this year... it hurt too much!! Lanny and I only put up three of the usual Christmas trees too. Another of my addictions-- I usually put up at least 4, one of which is 12 feet tall. This year we didn't do the tall one-- as it takes two of us on ladders to get it up and decorated. We could have put it up before the surgery, but getting it down was going to be an issue. And my shopping was done online. No crowded stores or cold weather shopping for me. Boxes arrived on the front porch almost daily.

     Right after New Year's my father-in-law passed away. We traveled to Kentucky for his memorial and burial. Navigating hotels and restaurants, funeral homes and cemeteries was tricky, but again there were family members at each step to jump in and help. I found that strangers, when faced with a woman on crutches, became most helpful. A hostess at Cracker Barrel worked hard to find me a seat while we waited for a table, a young man who probably was not used to being chivalrous held a door for me, a rest room attendant at an interstate rest area walked all the way from the Ladies room to the main door to hold it open for me...

     I received get well gifts from family with support from afar. I received phone calls and emails from local friends. A dear girlfriend picked me up and took me to lunch with another close friend, and also took me to my favorite knitting store for an afternoon out. My sister sent us gift certificates to a gourmet food business that ships the food in individual servings, frozen and ready to nuke and eat, so we didn't have to cook.

     The winter days were dark and gray, but since my husband had retired as of January first, he was home to brighten the days and help me out. He, above all, has been helpful, supportive, loving in ways I cannot begin to count. Since I can't carry anything when using crutches, he has done all the emptying of the dishwasher, picking up around the house, sweeping the floors, etc. He has been a chauffeur, and a patient listener as I whined.

     So... the lesson here is that I am blessed beyond measure to have such support from those around me. This condition is temporary. I will walk without a limp and be able to become active again. I  have been given a unique glimpse into how people with permanent disabilities must live, and how important things like handicapped ramps are (my little knitting shop has one-- and it made all the difference!). I have been humbled into having to ask for help and discovered that I don't have to do it all, and that Christmas doesn't have to be perfect to be perfect. I am, above all, grateful for my loving husband, who very patiently helped me in a million little ways, often at the expense of his own comfort.

     Yesterday I was told I didn't need to use the crutches any more. The freedom of just getting in the car and not having to haul the crutches around was wonderful. Not going up and down stairs on my butt is fabulous... Carrying my knitting bag upstairs so I could knit while watching TV in the bedroom last night was no big deal... Today I may tackle emptying the dishwasher with a new sense of appreciation.
No crutches! Just a big support boot for a couple more weeks... Freedom! Mobility!!
     Even in painful medical events there are lessons to learn, and I hope I remember the lessons from this one. Many thanks to all the people who helped me, some I never met, others very close to me. I am challenged now to "pay it forward" and  help those I know cope with their own events.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad they weren't wooden crutches, we could have a bonfire!!!!

    ReplyDelete