Saturday, June 2, 2012

One man's trash...

Buy, buy, says the sign in the shop window; Why, why, says the junk in the yard.
          ~Paul McCartney 

                                            garage sale


     Since my husband has retired and spring weather has arrived, we have started a new hobby together-- we go garage saleing most Thursdays and Fridays. And sometimes Saturdays...  It has opened our eyes to a different perspective on things.  I used to do this when my kids were small, but once I was working full time I couldn't. That was a long time ago... and things have changed a little. Here are some random thoughts that have been spurred on by our experiences in the last few weeks attending garage sales:


1.  You can never predict what you might find at any given sale. We tend to think that the sales in the "starter home" subdivisions will only have children's clothing, toys and baby furniture. However, Lanny has found some huge bargains on tools for his shop at sales where the only other items were baby items. I found an All Clad 1 qt saucepan with lid for $1 at one of these sales. I didn't have that size and can't afford All Clad pots retail, so I snatched it up!


2.   The people with the cleanest, most organized garages are most likely to be the least likely to bargain over prices or to chit-chat with. I think clean, organized garages are kept by the most anal-retentive among us, and these people are not "warm and fuzzy" with strangers.  Conversely, garages that were stuffed with junk, some for sale, some not, hard to find which was which, are usually owned by easy-going talkers. The stuff may not be as nice, but the people are!


3.   Any sale that advertises tools will be well attended by retired men! Any sale that advertises "lots of miscellaneous items" will be well attended by retired women!  And the ones that advertise children's clothing and toys will be well attended by stay-at-home parents. One of the big changes from when I was going to garage sales for kids' stuff is that the stay-at-home parent might be a dad these days. 


4.   I used to think the larger and more opulent the home, the better the stuff. This is not so any more... Everyone is getting rid of old junk and trying to get a little cash from it. The only time this is true is for adult clothing. I have found some designer labels on clothing in the "ritzier" neighborhoods. But their junk is pretty much the same junk you find anywhere!


5.  You can tell what people's interests are in the books and music CD's they sell. We got a National Geographic world atlas this week that is just wonderful... and I saw one place that had two huge tables of "bodice ripper" paperback romances. I have found some classic children's books in great condition, including some Little Golden Books of my own childhood.  I have seen video games that I would never allow my children (and they are grown!) to play, and then found beautiful chess sets.  All this has made me aware of the vast differences in people's interests and tastes. 


6.  I could have easily purchased 10 or more twin strollers so far this season. I have commented to my husband that the advances in infertility treatments has resulted in many more "multiple" births. And there are a lot of baby things out there for cheap, that is for sure. We must be in a second round of baby boom?  I found myself wondering why I didn't get some of this stuff at a garage sale when the grandchildren started coming... 


7.  By far the best sales for me are the estate sales, where beautiful things from people who are gone are sold by a family overwhelmed with the task. The items are usually wonderful, the prices usually very good. And the stuff that is sold is usually stuff I love-- dishes and glassware and old jewelry. I used to collect all this stuff, but had to stop. I mostly look these days, although I am still hoping to find a priceless antique for cheap.


8.   And that is the final point-- for Lanny and I, these sales are about the hunt. For him it is expensive tools and for me it is priceless antiques. When we find something, we'll wink at one another across the garage. And high-five once back in the car. 


So... here's to next weekend and more successful garage saleing!!


           

2 comments:

  1. About a year after my mother died, I decided to sell her house in Florida. I was not really eager to, but it was 1500 miles away and I was in no position to be a “snow bird” or function as a long distance landlady. I will never forget this experience. The part that particularly stands out was that people were on the verge of stampeding us a full hour prior to our 7 AM start. We had sold most of the furniture prior to the sale and the stuff I had wanted to keep was stored to be shipped north, so our merchandise was largely small tables, a couple of chairs and household doo-dads. None the less, there we had TONS of stuff to unload. The night prior to the sale, we were besieged by drop-by types asking to get in early. Some seemed on the verge of not taking “NO” for an answer, and that was freaky! I had this wacky idea lodged in my head that it was not fair to let some beat others out of deals before the advertised start. In retrospect, I’d have to say, “so what?” Anyway, once that sort of crazy-scary stage was over, it was kind of fun. I wish you continued happy hunting, my good friend! ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement with you that for many of us that go junkin, garage sales, etc it's about the hunt. It was for me with the Ty Beanie Baby Bears. There are 400 in plastic containers under a bed in my home. I have not checked on them recently so I surmise that they are alive and well. Once I can figure out what to do with them I will give most of them up. Nell

    ReplyDelete