Saturday, May 10, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

A mother is the truest friend we have when trials heavy and sudden fall up on us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness and cause peace to return to our hearts.
          ~Washington Irving


Myself, my mom and my sister

     Today is Mother's Day and I am incredibly fortunate to be able to spend the day with my own mother. My sister is also here-- she joined us from out-of-state just for this special day.

     Just like most kids, I have wonderful memories of my childhood, almost all of which center around my mother and father. My mom was gentle but absolutely dedicated to what she though was best for my sister and I-- so sometimes her decisions were not what I wanted.  Later, in my young adult years when I was a young mother, her wise counsel and good example helped me mother my own children. If I was a good mother (and I think I was...) it is because of her. 

     She in turn has often spoken of her own mother, and what a wonderful, caring woman she was. My grandmother provided her with a good example to follow.
My mother's mother

     And my own boys are wonderful dads to their kids. My hope is that their children will follow their parents' good example when it is time for them to be parents. 

     I firmly believe there is no greater legacy we can leave our children, no greater gift than the example of being a loving parent. I remember when my father lay dying-- and it was time to turn off all the machines and let him go. He was still lucid, and knew what was going on. It was time to say a final goodbye. I had been thinking about what I could say to him, and all I could think of was this exact thing-- I thanked him for being such a loving, wonderful father and told him that if I had any notion of what a loving Heavenly Father was, it was because my earthly father showed me what true love from a father was. 

     That is the power and the miracle of becoming a parent. It is the gift we are given by our own parents, who despite their human inperfections love us fiercely and do the best they can for us. And it is the mightiest gift we give our own children. What a legacy! 
My mom and three of her four grandchildren-- still an example to them too!

And here she is with her great grandchildren. Another generation of children to experience her unique way of showing love.

     Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, including of course, my own. Never underestimate the power of what you do, of the influence you can have. And take some time today to consider your own mother-- and be thankful for her example of love that carries you forward each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment