Thursday, January 5, 2012

Feminism

Me in the 70's!

     I am an old hippie feminist. Yup... my feminism dates back to my college days in the early 70's, back when Gloria Steinem was burning her bra. Attending University of Michigan during this time exposed me to some pretty radical stuff, and besides the anti-Vietnam war stuff and the Impeach Nixon stuff, there was the feminism. I was attending nursing school, and in a class of 225 students, only 4 were guys. The rest of us were mostly young women, straight from high school, mostly naive about the ways of the world.  My freshman year was spent on the main campus, walking the "Diag" to class every day, past all manner of demonstrations for causes. For whatever reason, I listened to the feminist rhetoric and embraced it. Well, most of it. I never burned a bra. I still wanted to get married. I wanted a family. But I saw myself in a new way, as a person worthy of respect for my intellect, not my appearance. I saw my life's work as including a career, not as a home maker with training to do a job "in case".

     Nursing at that time was in direct opposition to these new feminist views. Traditionally nurses had been seen as "handmaidens of the physician" (who was male) and our job was mostly to carry out the doctor's orders. Fortunately, my nursing instructors at UM all believed we were capable of so much more than that, and we were taught to think independently. To challenge a physician if need be. I was so lucky to have had that kind of training!

     I spent 37 years caring for women in their childbearing experience as an obstetric nurse and nurse manager. Again, more insight into women as they experienced the one thing men simply cannot do-- give birth and nurse their young. It was a very feminine thing, and I saw it as a very feminist calling. 

     Something happened in those 37 years though that changed my views somewhat. As women gained respect in the work place, conflict over who was at home caring for the children ensued. And over time it became the shared responsibility of both men and women. I am not saying it was always equal-- there have been many studies that have shown women still do more at home than men. But over time the idea that women were supposed to raise the kids and keep the house has changed. I experienced this change over time in my own personal life, with the baby care left pretty much up to me but over time my boys' father took on more household responsibilities. I think my sons were better for having had a dad involved in their care, and I think their father enjoys a closer relationship with them because he was involved. And my career path was easier because of it too.

     I have seen both my sons as fathers take on increased roles in the care of their own kids. They work hard to maintain strong relationships with their kids, and the children are better off because of it, not to mention their relationship with their wives...

     Which is what I wanted to point out in this post, I guess. Feminism has been seen as a very negative thing -- as radical and the women who espouse these radical beliefs are seen as unattractive and harpey. I don't see it that way-- I see feminism as enhancing family values. When women are equals in the work place and seen as able candidates for leadership positions, the burden that men traditionally carried as having to support the family (or run the world!) is lightened and their relationships with their children is enhanced. 

     So... I continue to embrace my feminist views, altered over time to include expanding the role of men into more traditionally feminine areas. The best example I can think of is that there are ever increasing numbers of men entering the nursing profession, and ever increasing numbers of women entering the medical profession. Both professions will be better off for this diversity of gender and thought, and thus the care of patients will be enhanced.

Tell me what you think, even (especially!) if you disagree-- I welcome all fair comments!

6 comments:

  1. Barb,
    You have completely spoken my views on feminism. We really should spend more time conversing about this and your life in general, I had no idea.
    Love,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused about the above comment. It reads, "Anonymous said ..." but then it's signed, "Love, Patty" and it's not your bestest buddy. I'm hoping you know another Patty and it'snot my name showing up on other peoples posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, dear... Patty is my sister-in-law! There are two of you in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having worked most of my adult life in traditionally male positions, I never really thought of myself as a feminist. I was just doing my job. For me, having my kids were the most feminist things I ever did.

    Because of the two most important men in my life (Dad - 'you can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it' & Tom - together we will make a home for our family) I guess I actually was a feminist without really having to think about it - I just was one...and I think our family is far better off because of it. Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonight at the induction of students at IUSON Dean Broome spoke of the transformation of nursing and the changes in the profession of nursing that these students will experience that tose of us on the podium never dreamed we would see Nurses as independent practitioners who are trained to take care of patients of their own volition. A kind of emancipation similar to feminism!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story my hippie at heart, feminist friend! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete