Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why I Knit...

 

Just a few of the Christmas stockings my mother has knit over the years for our family!


In the last year, which is my first as a retiree, I have become reacquainted with the craft of knitting. My beloved grandmother, Grandma Elsie, and my own mother, both taught me and encouraged me as a young girl to learn to knit. They both were adept at it. I have some cherished Christmas tree ornaments made by my grandmother, and remember watching her fingers fly as she turned out these sweet little ornaments. She knit a pair of white bells as the decoration on her wedding gift to me that I still cherish, despite the demise of that marriage. My mother knit my sister and I matching sweaters when we were very small (I was maybe 6 and she was 3?) that matched one she knit for herself. My other grandmother, Grandma Ruth, knit only one thing I can remember, a green afghan that has a place of honor over the footboard in our bedroom. It is pure wool and has the perfect weight for keeping you warm and toasty on cold winter nights. And of course it reminds me of her.

Knitting is an ancient craft-- it was probably the earliest form of making cloth, before looms for weaving were invented. I like that... and I love that when I knit, I feel connected  to my mother and both my grandmothers. My mother still knits, despite failing eyes. She has knit Christmas stockings for every person in our family. Indeed, every new baby is celebrated with a Grandma Doe stocking, complete with his or her name knit into the top. Mom figured she has knit 22 of these stockings over the years, and it is a real family connection to know that my cousins and my nieces and nephews and especially my own children with their own families have these little mementos of their grandmother. It connects us all back up the family tree.  Mom also continues to knit prayer shawls for a church group to give to anyone in need of a little comfort-- amazing considering she herself has endured three bouts of cancer and chemotherapy in the last few years, and she is in her late 80's.  She demonstrates with her knitting the art of faithful giving of one's self. She inspires her daughter!

I find endless inspiration in the colors and textures of the yarn, and matching it with patterns to make garments and accessories and all manner of goodies is an artistic challenge. I try to put love in each stitch as I knit... and so the gift of something I have made is a true gift of love. I also enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques and skills, and with each finished project I find I have learned something.

But there is something else I get out of knitting. I create something all my own, and I have such an intense need to be creative! I think I spent most of my adult life worrying about caring for others in more physical ways. My children have grown up and are caring for their own physical needs, and I have retired from nursing so I no longer must give physical care to patients (or, as I did in in later years, to the nursing staff I directed... not so much physical care as much as emotional and intellectual guidance!) All that caring for others left me without the energy to be creative. And now, with time to use and energy renewed, I find myself drawn to this ancient craft. And who knows... maybe I can provide my own grandchildren with memories of their grandmother giving of herself to them in this loving way!
Granddaughter Addison wearing the sweater and hat I knit her!

Grandson Sam wearing the sweater and hat I knit for him!
The whole outfit I knit for Grandson William!
Creativity, connection to previous generations, connection to family, and potential for giving to others. What a perfectly wonderful past time!!!

If you have any interest in knitting or learning to knit, please contact me via email. I have lots of info on beginning to knit online instructions, places to go for classes, and I just love talking about it to anyone who has an interest.

1 comment:

  1. Well when you "couch" knitting that way...perhaps I should have paid more attention when given lessons from the Grandmothers rather than trapsing off to the dump with dad!

    ReplyDelete