Friday, January 13, 2012

Watching the future unfold


Yesterday I wrote about discovering my past and the importance to me of finding out about my ancestors. It got me thinking about how decisions made now can influence generations to come, which led to more thinking on those future generations. I thought I'd share who those future generations are for me. Let me tell you about my two sons.

From the time I was old enough to talk and play, I played with dolls. There are some precious home movies of me at about age 4 playing with a baby doll, including giving the baby a bath. While the technique was a little rough, I was preparing myself for becoming a mother (and perhaps, an OB nurse?) I grew up assuming that some day I would be a mother.

Fast forward to 1979. I had been married for three years, and now was expecting our first child. Back in those days there were no ultrasounds to announce the gender of the new baby before the birth. I had to wait until the baby arrived. I won't go into the sordid details-- it was a long day-- but the joy I felt when I met my son for the first time is hard to describe. It was the high point of my life!  Here we are the following day:

Matthew Eric Schoch, age 1 day

Watching Matthew grow was a special time, but I was also eager to provide him with a sibling. The family just didn't feel complete with only one child.  I was very blessed in 1982 to welcome our second son-- again, a high point of my life! Here we are about 4 hours later:

Michael Bernard Schoch, age 4 hours
 Helping to raise these two fine boys has been the absolute crowning achievement of my life. Both of them are great people, and fine young men. They are both hard working and honest. They have walked different paths, and are working now to achieve the goals they have set.

Mike and Matt
 Both of them are married and have their own families, which allows me another glimpse into the future. They have made me a grandmother, and so I get to watch another generation unfold. What joy that brings!

Matt, Amanda, Sam and Will Schoch

Addie, Mike and Leslie Best Schoch
As you can imagine, I have lots to share about these three darling grandchildren... stay tuned for future posts with some of their adventures with Grandma Barb!!

No comments:

Post a Comment