Sunday, April 1, 2012

This explains everything!


     For those of you who check my blog once in awhile, you have probably noticed I haven't written anything in quite awhile. I apologize and would like to offer an explanation.

     About two weeks ago Lanny bought his usual single Hoosier Lotto ticket and single Powerball ticket at the local convenience store. He won 2 dollars on the Lotto ticket. So, he pocketed one dollar and bought another Lotto. This one won him a free ticket. Feeling lucky, he came home and handed it to me. "Here's our new retirement plan!" he said. I didn't think much about it and set it aside. Two days later, Lanny asked me where the ticket was. It seems the big winner had bought the ticket from our convenience store.

     Those who know me well know what a mess our office is. A complete disheveled nightmare. I wasn't sure, but I thought I had put the ticket on his office chair, because there literally wasn't room on either desk. Of course it wasn't there. Well, it had to be somewhere, so I looked around a bit. Nothing. Did it fall on the floor and get kicked under the desk? Down on my hands and knees I went, snooped around under the desks. I found a gum wrapper, a few paper clips, the box of printer paper. But no lottery ticket. "This is stupid" I thought... we were not the kind of people who win big lottery amounts, and since I was still in my boot from the foot surgery all this groveling around was hurting.

     Lanny, however, was pretty determined, and he snooped around some. Still no lottery ticket. Both of us were hungry at the time, so eventually the search was abandoned in favor of lunch.   I had some other projects I was planning on working on that day, as did Lanny, so after lunch and a quick clean up we both went off in opposite directions. Lanny had a sixth sense about this ticket though, and later that evening he asked me again.

     This time, I remembered. I had put it in a purse that was hanging on my desk chair, mostly because it had an outside pocket. And then I remembered... that purse had been set aside in the office in preparation for taking it to the consignment store. I had been taking some of my better work clothes (no longer needed since retirement!) over to a local consignment shop, and the lady there had encouraged me to bring in any purses I had that were in good shape. This purse, a Coach bag, had been hanging in my closet for years, and I had decided to sell it. I had taken it over to the shop the day before... the ticket was gone!

     You guessed it. The purse, being a well-known designer purse, sold almost immediately. I drove to the consignment shop to see if I could just retrieve the ticket. "Good news!" the owner said. "I sold that purse for you this morning!"

     We waited for the announcement and, sure enough, it came... the winner of all those millions had found the winning ticket in a purse she had bought in a consignment shop.

     The Powerball ticket was a bust.
    
     We have been sick ever since...


     Oh... and one more thing...



APRIL FOOLS!



    

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so you got me Barb! I was feeling so sorry for you and then......you sneaky thing. Plus, the story was believable, I know how your desk is, or was at work. Good one friend, good one!!

    ReplyDelete